Monday, March 3, 2014

Finally the First Appointment

        So it happened, it finally happened! We had our first IVF appointment at Bourn Hall today. For weeks we had been super excited and nervous to see what the physician would have to say about all of our recent lab work, our chances of success, and the process in general itself. Today, we were not disappointed. We are about a thirty to forty minute drive from the fertility center and our appointment was scheduled for 9 a.m.. We left in plenty of time and although there was traffic arrived early.
        Upon arriving we went into the visitors center and checked in. We were given a short tour and shown the bathrooms, the little restaurant, and sitting areas. After this,  the clerk handed us a visitors pass, mini coins for teas and coffees, and showed us to a side door. We were told to go over to the next building, the visitors pass will scan you in, and upstairs to a final check-in. It seems like a lot, but in total took about five minutes.
       After checking in upstairs, in the second building we were shown to a nice waiting room. The views at Bourn Hall are amazing. Every time we have been to drop paperwork it is always beautiful and oddly sunny. England isn't often sunny, but I have bets on Bourn Hall being the sunniest place in Great Britain. The waiting area is large enough with plenty of sitting space and a bathroom that has tricks of its own. I was laughing at Chris when he tried to use it, but was unable to get the light to work.. I didn't laugh long as I ended up having the same troubles. For the record, you must pull the light cord and walk pretty far forward before the light comes on and you feel safe shutting the door behind you! While waiting to be called back, I noticed a photo album full of newborn baby pictures and thank you's from their overjoyed parents. I could not help, but smile. It seemed like we waited for a very long time, but our doctor finally called us back.
       I had previously spoken on the phone with Dr. Valentina Mauro while recovering from my second surgery relating to my second tubal pregnancy. It was lovely to finally meet her in person and she instantly made us both feel at ease. She took us to a large office and we sat down to discuss our recent lab work, and all that this journey will entail. Going into this I knew that due to my situation (one tube removed, one completely blocked), IVF was our only option. No surprise there! I had hopes of doing the egg share program, (allows for free IVF for the donor) but it takes months to be matched up and we have a very limited time left in the country. I managed with the help of a really wonderful doctor of my own to have all my labs completed, all of Chris's labs completed, and everything turned into Bourn prior to our appointment. I think Dr. Mauro was impressed and I have to admit I was kind of impressed with my organization myself! I had some concerns about PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) because of some of my labs and although Dr. Mauro understood why and where I was coming from about those labs, she reassured me that it was a very small chance and not to worry since I had become pregnant twice in one year. I was disappointed when I realized I had forgotten the one paper you are told to bring with you, a pink slip that both partners have to initial and date next to the treatments you will be receiving. Luckily, she had an extra.
      After we signed and dated all of our pink slip, it was on to discussing medications. This is where its gets informative. Initially, for my situation, I will start down regulating on March 18th. Down regulation has to begin twenty-one days after the start date of your menstrual cycle. From what I have been told the purpose of down-regulating is to switch off my bodies own reproduction process, so that I can eventually start over with help from modern medications in hopes of producing more follicles. Medication wise this means starting to give myself shots in my abdomen nightly on that day. I had the option of a nasal spray, but I can't stand anything in my nose and the shots turned out to be cheaper. On the upside although I know how to draw medications up and give injections as it is part of my job, the nurse and I had fun watching Chris try today. Needless to say, I think I will inject myself! He is determined to jab me at least once, thankfully the needles are tiny. After our medication practice was over, the nurse gave us some goodies. We were given a large purple "medication suitcase", a tiny purple butterfly bag (for carrying meds in if not at home), a large amount of syringes, some alcohol pads (I requested these as British nurses on use alcohol pads if giving a gluteal injection), a sharps container, and finally my two vials of medication.
     Everyone was friendly and answered our questions. I have to admit I was a bit overwhelmed and there were a few questions we forgot to ask. Dr. Mauro was nice enough to give me her own number and personal email and is often quick to reply to any questions I have so I am sure I will get them answered soon. My next appointment will be on the 28th of March. This will be for a follicle scan from what we understood today. If all looks well with the scan on that day, I will be started a new injection and will be reducing the amount of the one I will be on starting the 18th. So for a brief time I will be on two injections, oh joy!
    We continue to pray that financially some prayers are answered. I was more sick this past week then I believe I have been since I was a teenager, I even missed three days of work! We have been amazed at the kind words, donations, advice, and general support from everyone. Although, we have had some negative comments, I am able to ignore them for the positive as we believe anyone with anything negative to say, clearly has not been in a situation like ours.
   Oh a different note, I sit here to write these blogs only ever thinking they will take me half an hour at most...here I am 1.5 hours later. It is my hope this blog helps someone, somewhere going through anything similar. Goodnight world.







No comments:

Post a Comment